Want a simple Taste of Folk College?
Here is your opportunity.
This one-day event will be held for free (donation requested) on Saturday, January 5, 2019. It will be a new location at the American Philatelic Society, 100 Match Factory Place, in Bellefonte, PA, 10 minutes outside of State College.
• a fun party with lots of jamming
• an opportunity for people who haven't been to Folk College and Greenwood Furnace Folk Gathering to see what it's about in a free 1-day event
It's for people who play an instrument, people who wish they played an instrument, and people who just like to listen.
The event runs from 3 to 10 but you're welcome to drop in at any time.
The day will have open jamming and a variety of workshops starting at 3:30 pm.
• 3:30 pm
- Folk Music for Newbies - Holly Foy - Kitchen
- Open jamming - Bob Lamparter & others - Entrance
- Cajun Tunes - Fiddling Thomsons - A to Z Room
• 4:30 pm
- Beginners' Jam - Simple Gifts - Kitchen
- Mixed Styles Jam - Ken Sharp & Keith Cochrane - Entrance
- Try a Ukulele - Louise Troxell - Gallery
- Folk Band Arranging - Fiddling Thomsons - A to Z Room
- Philatelic Center Tour - Betsy Gamble - Meet at reception area
• 5:30 pm
- Open Mic
• Afterwards (approx. 7:30)
- Fun & Easy Percussion - Fiddling Thomsons - Big Room
- Slow & Pretty Tunes - Kate Spry - A to Z Room
- Country Jam - Scott Elkins - Entrance
- Irish Jam - Patty Lambert - Gallery
- More jams, many styles
• 10 pm
- Clean-up and good-byes
All instruments (guitars, whistles, fiddles, cellos, mandolins, hurdy gurdies, banjos, dulcimers, ukuleles, voices, accordions, keyboards, percussion and things we've forgotten) are welcome!
Bring a dish to share. We'll have places for crock pots and use of the refrigerators. We'll provide beverages and paper products. We ask for a donation (no specific amount) to cover the cost of the space rental and incidentals, with any excess helping to fund Folk College.
Unlike in past year's, the new location does NOT have a commercial kitchen to support the potluck. Therefore, all dishes brought to the event must be ready-to-serve. We will have outlets for crock pots, etc., but there will be no food cooking at the venue. Also, all dishes must come with a serving utensil, labeled with the person’s name.
Also, no alcohol is allowed on the premises.
If you already know what happens at Folk College, bring a friend with you to share the experience! Show your friends why you come back year after year.
We hope to see you there!
Any questions--call 814/643-6220 or email@example.com
P.S. The Fiddling Thomsons will be performing at a house concert on Friday, January 4 at Webster's Bookstore at 133 E. Beaver Avenue in State College. The concert starts at 7 pm.